Basic Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe
Some habanero hot sauce recipes
call for anything from mangos to orange juice to honey. However, this recipe is a purist and only adds a few other ingredients to create a nice base flavor to complement the strong flavor of the habanero peppers.
The lime juice and carrots help to bring out the natural citrus flavor from the habanero peppers. The onions also add a little sweetness to the finished hot sauce and the vinegar helps to cut the heat just a little bit.
Be very careful handling habanero peppers as the capsaicin can burn your eyes or other sensitive areas. We highly recommend you wear gloves. You can read this article to learn more about capsaicin and the heat from peppers
Basic Habanero Hot Sauce Ingredients
- 10 Habanero Chile Peppers
- 1/2 cut coarsely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Canola or vegetable oil
Basic Habanero Hot Sauce Directions
1) Saute the onion, garlic, and carrots in the canola oil over medium-high heat until the onions and carrots are softened.
2) Remove the stems from the habanero peppers.
3) Add the habanero chiles and the onion / garlic / carrot mixture to a blender and process until smooth.
4) Dump the habanero puree into a pot with the lime juice and vinegar and bring to a boil Cook for about 5 minutes so the flavors meld.
5) Pour into your storage containers and then enjoy!
Basic Habanero Hot Sauce Storage
You can can the habanero hot sauce for up to a year if you use proper canning techniques.
You can refrigerate the habanero pepper sauce for about a month if it is kept in a sealed container.
Freezing the habanero hot sauce allows you store it for a longer time, up to a year, but the flavor will begin to mellow after time.
Love Chile Peppers?
Come learn about 39 different chile peppers. Some are mild like the Anaheim and some are so hot they are literally being used as weapons. Complete with information about their origin and history, uses, and full-color photographs!
Available on Amazon.com
or as a PDF Download